SICILY

Taormina, Catania & Naxos.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Here are some photos I took from Sicily. This was my first time in Sicily and we stayed almost two weeks. We had a nice little hotel at Taormina, next to Isola Bella beach. I liked our hotel, even the bed was hard as a rock and walls were paper thin. Every morning I squeezed myself a glass of fresh orange juice and enjoyed beautiful view to the beach.

What I really loved about this trip, was that I was able to let go of my stress. I didn't think about my responsibilities or anything else. I just enjoyed my life. I was also able to experience new things, like relax on the beach, swim in the ocean (with jellyfishes..oops), taste how salty sea actually is, pay less than five euros on a wine bottle, eat croissants with Nutella every day, took a cable car ride and so on.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
One place we visited was Ancient theatre of Taormina. This ancient Greek theatre was built in the third century BC and it was on my must see list. View was amazing and it was worth to take a visit, even the place was pretty crowded.

Before we go forward, we should talk about Italian food, which was really good! I ate Catania's famous Saint Agatha's Breast pastry, Italian ice cream, Kinder and Ferrero Rocher ice cream, lemon granita, Italian pizza, pasta with seafood, Sicilian pasta, Cannoli and Arancini balls. I was surprised how much cheese Italian's use, it was everywhere. You were enjoying your Arancini ball and suddenly huge pile of hot cheese flows to your mouth. I wasn't able to eat it anymore, just too much cheese to me. 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Anyway, Let's continue with pictures from center of Taormina. We spent several days at the beach sunbathing and swimming, but we had few rainy days which we spent shopping in different cities. 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Streets were small and filled with small stores. We didn't find much clothing stores, but we managed to find pretty good shoe stores. I ended up buying two pairs and my mom went crazy and ended up buying four pairs! I was laughing, when she was trying to fit all of them to her carry-on baggage, so checked baggage wouldn't go over weight limit. 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This picture from center of Taormina is one of my favorite ones. The view was amazing. Beautiful blue ocean, little restaurants beside town square and someone was playing accordion in the shadows of old church. 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I would have to describe Sicily in three words, I would say lemon, cats and mafia. Wherever you looked at you were able to see lemon trees and wild cats. I didn't see mafia, but when I entered souvenir stores all I see was Godfather merchandise. Godfather was filmed in Taormina, so of course there was all kind of stuff about Godfather. Like example T-shirts, shot glasses, music, little baseball bat (why?), lighters, anything you could even think about. 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
These pictures are from Isola Bella beach, next to our hotel. It was a small public beach. I was reading and listening music of ocean. Waves made stones dance and the calming music was on the air. It was so relaxing to sip coca-cola and read, while sun was warming my skin. 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Our trip was coming to an end, and so we had to finally visit Mount Etna. Mount Etna is Europe's tallest active volcano, currently 3,329 m high. Etna erupts frequently and had actually erupted three days before we visited. Because of that eruption we weren't able to reach 2950 m, but we managed to reach 2750 m. Honestly I was little disappointed, I was expecting more, big lava show or something. Instead I got bare black wasteland, ash to my teeth and rocks to my shoes. It was still great experience, but I'm pretty sure I won't visit Mount Etna next time. 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
When I was walking around Mount Etna (2750 m), I saw a dog. First I was horrified, because I was sure he was dead but when I got closer I noticed he was snoring. If I heard right, his name is Jethro and he is a tourist dog. He wanders around Mount Etna with tourist. So cute. 

No comments